Q: How can I obtain a copy of VAOS?
A: The "official" release is on Sourceforge.
There are installation instructions somewhere - maybe in that package!
Unofficial releases (like updated single binaries for va32.exe and other components) get uploaded to the Wiki at http://wiki.virtual-access.org. They appear under "Downloads" or in the "Last Files" box, look at the left.
Be warned - some things are missing from VAOS - especially there is no spell checker, and no printing. These were some of the bits that used proprietary packages which we couldn't carry over to VAOS.
And as always - make sure you have a backup before you start!
Q: How do I install VAOS?
A: Once you obtain the VAOS distribution file, unzip it to a convenient location, say "drivename:\VAOS".
Inside the VAOS folder you should have a couple of folders and some batch files, "VA_Copy.BAT" and "CIX_Copy.BAT". These will copy the necessary executable files from your VAOS folder to where-ever your existing VA MessageBase is:
MEMO: this is assuming you have an existing MessageBase. If you don't have an existing MessageBase, see the next FAQ "How to install a new VAOS".
Q: How to install a new VAOS.
A: These are QUICK install instructions. If you need a longer How-To, go to FirstInstall?.
- drop the folder with files everywhere you want
- run VAOS twice and create a new user
- change User Flags to 5 (in the created user.ini file)
- run netwiz, convert rules and create your first service, uncheck "Use DUN"
- login and finish the comms setup of that service, if you need DUN
- do your first blink, that will automatically Review Outbasket
- delete the message going out to Atlantic Coast (they don't bounce it
anymore, anyway) from the Outbasket
- install PlusPack (or do it earlier :-)